Friday, September 4, 2009

How to Get What You Want (part 1)

I think that everyone in life wants one thing:

What they want.

Is that a crazy redundancy? Maybe, but look a little deeper. Of course everyone wants what they want, but what does that really mean?

To answer that question, you have to look inside yourself. It is a very personal question to answer. We all want the necessities of life: money, home, food. That's a given. But what about beyond that? Those are the questions we must ask ourselves because that is what drives us. If you have not answered those questions for yourself, then why do you get out and continue to do what you do?

For me, I want to unlock the potential of my family and my friends. I want to inspire them to become more than what they are right now. That is how I want to show them my love. I want to be able to end my time on this Earth having impacted a huge number of people. I want to be in their storybooks, not because of my greatness, but because of the greatness I drew out of them.

Go ahead and find out what is you want out of life. Once you get that figured out, we can move on the getting those things. Really take time to figure this out, because this will be what drives you when times are rough. These are your goals. These are your "Why's." You'll hear a lot about "Why" and why your "Why" is important.

Let's work on figuring out what you want:
If you had all the money in the world, what would you do with it?
Why?
What kind of importance do these things or experiences have to you?

You've got to really get down to the core of this for it to be effective. Ask these questions until there is no other answer. In my years in Architecture school, we were trained to distill the essence of different objects, buildings, spaces, etc. We were taught that in order to understand something magnificent, you have to understand it at its most basic level. Once you get that, you can then build something from it. The most basic part of a building is not the concrete foundation. It is the meaning or the idea the designer had in mind.

It's the same with your life. The most basic, elemental part about you is not your DNA or the physical elements that make you up. It is your idea or your meaning in this life. Once you figure that out, you can make things happen. You can literally build your life to match that.

If you build something that does not match that original, elemental idea or meaning, it will fail. Sure, the building may stand and be inhabited, but I will not have reached its full potential, and I call that a failure.

I hope that you are on the road to discovering your meaning. If you would like help, please feel free to contact me.

I will be posting more on how to build upon your "why" and how to design your life to match that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said

pastor